Blog Archive

Saturday, 28 March 2009

Quiche Pastiche


As this post title suggests, I stole the idea for these mini crustless quiches from another blog; Bread and Honey. Actually, it's my favourite blog, and just about the first food blog I started to read. It is WELL worth a look. I used the same egg mixture as on Bread and Honey but used some different veggies for the filling. In these pics I served them up with some hot, buttered rounds of date and maple bread from my local bakery. They tasted amazing and went particularly well with this sweet-ish bread. They are almost like tiny, oven-baked, omelets.


Miniature Crustless Quiches

(As on Bread and Honey) 4 Large eggs
3/4 cup milk

About 250g mixed, woodland mushrooms
2 large shallots
1 large clove of garlic
1 large thyme sprig
1 tbsp olive oil
A handful of wild rocket, chopped finely
About 100g grated cheese (I used extra mature cheddar, I imagine blue cheese would be gorgeous though)
Sea Salt and Black Pepper


Pre-heat the oven to around 175 celsius. Grease REALLY WELL a muffin tin or cupcake tray. Whisk together the eggs, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Put aside.

Heat a frying pan and add the oil. Fry the shallots until soft, then add the garlic and mushrooms. Strip the thyme leaves from the sprig and add to the mushrooms. Fry for about 5 mins or until the mushrooms are slightly browned and have released some of their juices. Remove from the heat.

Place about a dessert spoon of the mushrooms in each section of the muffin tin. Top with the chopped rocket then fill each section up just over half way with the egg mix. Sprinkle the quiches with the cheese and bake until puffed up and golden on top (about 25 mins).


Listen: Jenny Lewis: Pretty Bird

2 comments:

Dan said...

These look really good, I'm going to remember this recipe and do these for lunch soon.

Cheers,
Dan

gemma said...

Wow, these do look wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm adding it to my list. I bet these would fit in well at an Easter brunch.